This site is dedicated to the systems of registration numbers used in the United Kingdom since they were introduced in 1903 until the present day. It will explain how the system worked and how it has been modifed over the years to cope with increasing numbers of vehicle registrations as the allowed combinations were exhausted, and the new system that was introduced in 2001 to replace it.
Use the following links to find out more about the various aspects of the history and current usage of car registration numbers in the UK and Ireland.
- Overview of Allocations
- Original Allocation System — England (excl London)
- Original Allocation System — London
- Original Allocation System — Scotland
- Original Allocation System — Wales
- Original Allocation System — Ireland
- Re-allocation to LVLOs (Great Britain only, 1970s)
- Current System, Republic of Ireland, 1987 to present
- Current System, Great Britain, 2001 to present